7.24.2011

Coffee Table

So during all of this bakery planning, I've had about twenty people ask, "Are you going to have coffee?" And the first time I answered no. The second time too. But then somewhere along the line I thought, 'Crap, I better have some coffee!'


Here's the problem. I'm not a coffee snob per se. I don't like coffee in the true sense. I love the smell of it. It's glorious. But growing up, I drank my mom's Folgers coffee with tons of sugar and cream. That lasted me for years. When I started working at the Buckle, my boss got me hooked on White Chocolate Mochas at the Coffee Beanery. And now I still drink the same thing at Starbucks (plus the occasional java chip frappuccino when it's too warm for hot coffee.)
Regardless, I'm not a coffee connoisseur. I know what I like, but I'm sure it's not what everyone else likes. Also, this is a bakery, not a coffee shop. So after much consideration, I decided I would carry two different kinds of coffee- a bold blend and a medium blend.
I'm still trying to decide on the brand. I could either go local and support a local business (which, as a local business, I think I probably should) or I could carry something from another state and potentially be 'the only place in LR carrying that coffee.' Which, I like too. I'll most likely go the local angle.
Either way, I needed a hub for my coffee. I don't want to serve it, make it, mix it, any of that. So I've decided to go with a self serve cart. I'll sell the cup, you make it yourself. I'm going to have sugars, creamers, syrups and all of that available.
I had an old table that we had loaned to my sister when she moved into her apartment. I got it back (she actually wasn't using it anymore) and repainted it.

It started like this:


I sanded it down with our electric sander, this removed all the existing layers of poly. It's a pain in the butt, but really helps the paint to adhere. Evil, but necessary.

Got a few coats of Kilz primer:

Pup wondering what I'm doing hanging
out in the laundry room.


Followed by several coats of paint:

Color: Bher Apricot Flower

Followed by sanding/scuffing:

The tip to make this look the best is to hit high points, areas that would actually get scuffed during regular use. Areas like around the knobs, The bottom of the lip where the drawer would scrape and the outside 'corners' of the legs.

Using varying grits of sandpaper, I started by using a low grit (big chunks) to pull of big sections of paint, followed by a finer grit to rough up around that area to make it look more realistic. In some areas I went down to just the white primer, and in others, I went all the way down to the wood.

Then I added several coats of clear poly. I used a semi-gloss. I like a tiny bit of shine, but not gleaming, That wouldn't work with this kind of shabby chic project.

To finish off, I added pink ceramic knobs from Hobby Lobby. I love their knob selection!

Then, I found the cutest pink drawer liner at Michaels.


How cute are the insides of these drawers? So stinkin' cute. I know. The brand is Treasures by Shabby Chic and the roll did all three drawers with a tiny bit left over. And, it was only $3. You can check it out here. I will probably end up grabbing another roll.

I really love the way this came out. I was hesitant about the orange. Even though it's in my logo (and I requested it), it's not a color I would ever consider painting furniture. But I'm so glad I did! I'm going to do another table for the window display. I still haven't found one I like yet. But when I do, it will be white scuffed away to show the orange (the opposite of this). I kind of can't wait.