6.13.2008

You can pick your friends, but you cant pick your family

Lucky for you, that one person out there that I believe might be slightly amused by my ranting, I have something new to bitch -nay, lament about.  My sister is four years younger than me, and about six years ago, I stuck my nose into her business. (Which, I think any older sister worth her salt should) I told her during her first semester in college that she was getting too serious with a guy and I didn't want to see her drop out of college, married and end up pregnant.  That was in August.  By September, she was married and pregnant, finished her stint in college in December on the Dean's list.  *sigh*  I tried to warn her that the guy wasn't right, and that she was rushing her life in a way that she would never understand.  HUGE FIGHT ensued.  We didn't speak for the majority of her pregnancy.  I finally walked up to her (we both worked in the mall) and gave her a baby gift.  And in the true spirit of siblings, nothing was said about what was said.  We picked up mostly where we left off, and life returned to normal.  Except she was 19, married, and I had a new nephew.  
We live about twelve houses away from each other.  We are close, with our shared past and tormented memories of our parents and their divorce.  We talk, maybe not as much anymore.  But we still talk.  
Yesterday, I stop by her work (still in the mall) while on lunch from my fabulous job (OK, I love my job, but it may not exactly be fabulous, but it's way better than the mall).  I dish a bit of gossip about one of her friends.  To which she replies, "I have news--"
Wait.  I'm getting ahead of myself.  She divorced the husband last year and started dating a guy she knew from high school (the only thing missing is to move back to our home town, but I digress.)  
OK, story back on, she continues, "Tim and I are talking again."  The guy from high school.  Even when I knew him and he was in the seventh grade, I could tell he was going to be a gorgeous guy.  "Oh."  I say.  They got engaged, he moved in, became freaked out by the quickness of it all and left.  And then they got back together.  And then she decided that he was immature.  And she kicked him out.  That was about a month ago.  So, they are back together.  Cool, he's a nice enough guy.  I liked the way she acted when she was with him.  She seemed happy.  "And I'm pregnant."  SONOFABITCH.  "Oh."  I say, it was a completely different pitch than the first one.  Again, she seems happy.  And, honestly, that sounds like a little more than talking.  But who I am to say?  
Another child.  I guess I should preface this by saying that my husband and I don't want children.  But, I wont push my beliefs, thoughts, or wishes off onto others.  I just hate the fact that my nephew was to start school this year.  I thought that finally, after a five year hiatus, she would be able to return to school.  So that the things she has written about herself on her MySpace page would finally be true.  

No comments:

Post a Comment