11.25.2008

Time and money

How does one get to where one is?  This question is posed more metaphorically, of course.  On the news, in the paper, even on the internet, the topic of choice right now is the "economic downturn."  I can see it around me.  In my family, at my work, and in the shivering lady in the parking lot.  Luckily, we have been fortunate.  Granted, we are choosing to cut back this Christmas, but not because we can't afford it (we can), but because we are sinking as much money as possible into the house we are building.  (And, since we never really go overboard at Christmas, I think we could still afford it.  My husband on the other hand, would disagree.)  
But my sister, she is a few months behind on her mortgage.  It scares me.  Because, I want to help her, but we can't.  I mean, we can, but we can't afford to give her any money.  And I fear any loan I make her would be just that.  She has a new job, and things are looking to get better for her, but I know that it will be a battle getting her out of the hole she is in.  
She keeps resting on the idea that a windfall of money will soon come her way.  I like to think these things will happen, and secretly wish for them.  But, I do not make plans contingent on these things.  She does.  
***
On the house front, we began framing yesterday.  Even-though there was rain, they made sufficient progress.  I walked through the studs, closing my eyes, imagining where cabinets would be, where the couch will sit, and pondering if we left enough space for the pool table.  It's super exciting and I can't wait to see what's been done today.

1 comment:

  1. I'd sometimes wish I could find more of that "time" you speak of. I've always felt I've been so busy. But I realized I actually like being busy. It's so easy for me to nap the day away if I don't have something to do.

    I hope your sister can get back on track. I can imagine how scary that must be. Especially in these times.

    ReplyDelete