9.26.2012

Well that was awkward

I got a phone call this morning from someone out of town who wanted a cake delivered to someone locally. Usually, I don't do this, but today was one of those days where I had nothing particular planned, my baker was coming in to run the shop for the afternoon and I had baked a cake to go in the case and figured a sold and delivered cake was better than a cake in the case not sold.
So I said yes.
This was the information given to me:
-This was for a man whose wife had recently passed away.
-They wanted a chocolate cake.
-They gave me his address and phone number.
-They wanted me to call him before delivering it to make sure he was there.
-They DID NOT want me to tell him that I was bringing him a chocolate cake.
-I was to include a card with a brief message.

Those were my instructions.

So when I finished the cake and was ready to deliver it, I made the call and the following conversation took place:

Me: Hi, I'm looking for [name].

Him: I'm [name].

Me: I have a delivery for you and I just wanted to make sure that you were home to receive it.

Him: Who is this?

Me: My name is Kelli.

Him: And what are you bringing me?

Me: I can't say.  (At this point, I am trying to protect the identity of the cake.)

Him: May I ask why not?

Me: I have a delivery for you, it's from your friends. They wanted you to have something.

Him: And who are you?

Me: Um, Kelli.

Him: No, who are you with?

Me: Pause. Um, Sweet Love.

Him: I'm sorry?

Me: Sweet Love.

Him: What is that exactly?

Me: I'd rather not say. (Again, I didn't want to say 'bakery' because then it might be obvious that I'm bringing a cake.)

Him: Sweet Love? I'm getting worried.

Long pause. Suddenly I have the overwhelming urge to burst out with, "I'm not a stripper!" I mean, it's a man whose wife recently passed away and I'm telling him that 'his friends wanted to get him something' and I'm refusing to tell him the company I'm with. I might as well show up on his door step in a fake cop uniform. Or in this case, an apron. \

Me: It's a bakery. I'm a baker. Your friends bought you some baked goods.

Him: obviously relieved. Oh, ok. I'll be home.


I hung up the phone and laughed for about 5 minutes. We've joked about the bakery name. I obviously picked something semi-racy on purpose. I never imagined the confusion that might come from a covert gift and a phone call.