11.02.2011

Progress

Thankfully, there has been progress. Lots of good progress.
Not everything I need done, mind you, but a good amount. I got my business cards! (Special thanks to my friend Nancy for designing them and CustomXM for printing them)


Did you know I have a shiny new website for my bakery!? I do. My friend Ryan Byrd helped me to create Sweetlovebakes.com And by 'helped me create' I mean he built me a very cool site with minimal direction and my words. I'm still in the process of adding some of my existing photos to the gallery, it's tedious and all that and I'm slow. Also, there's a blog over there. I will be talking about the bakery and other treat-related topics on occasion. I don't know how frequently I will blog there, but it will be more 'professional' and slightly sales driven messages. (But not cheesy salesman, that's gross.)

Last week I attended the Signature Chef Auction for the March of Dimes.

  It ended up being a very cool event. I had no clue what I was doing, but it was fun.


I served Raspberry soaked chocolate cake, a spiced rum cake and a vanilla bean cheesecake. They are my favorites. I loved hearing people come over and say, "Which is the cheesecake? My friend said it was the best." (For the record, I heard it about all three desserts, but I think the cheesecake was the top favorite.)

I had help from some of my CJRW friends who are into baking and into letting me rope them into crazy plans.

Monica and Luis, my sous chefs.

I also made entirely too much cake. Which is good. That means I can make less next year. It also means a local homeless shelter got a lot of cake. I hope they enjoyed it.


I also got to make some cookies for a Shrek the Musical meet and greet.



Do you know how difficult it is to make cookies look like characters? I definitely need some practice.

But back to the bakery. I got my business license as well as my Health Department approval. So things are moving forward there as well. And it looks like my official opening date is now Nov. 22. Yes, the week of Thanksgiving. I'm torn on whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'm going to pretend that only being open two days my first week is good. Because that's all I've got. Hopefully I can take some pre-orders for Thanksgiving and have some business.